Having mistakenly foreseen myself having a banana before work everyday this week, I found an entire bunch of almost-too-ripe bananas mocking me over my first cup of weekend coffee. They were clearly calling out to be baked into bread form and join the coffee as a weekend breakfast. Be warned, ripened bananas have the power to communicate in pre-caffienated weekend hours.
I’m trying to control the bulge (as usual) so I fired up the iPad and set out to find a Weight Watchers recipe for banana bread. What I discovered over at The Slender Kitchen was not just banana bread, oh no; what I found there was NUTELLA banana bread and claiming to be diet food to boot. Worried that this might be some kind of mirage, I quickly finished my coffee and poured myself another cup. Nope, it was true. One slice, just 4 points. Make it for breakfast so you have the rest of the day to work off the points, because I guarantee you’re going to want more than one piece.
Weight Watchers Nutella Banana Bread
Points: 4 weight watchers points plus
Servings: 13 slices
Serving Size: 1 slice
Nutritional Info: 138.1 calories, 3.8g of fat, 24.8g of carbohydrates, 2.5g of fiber, 1.7g of protein
- 4 ripe medium bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Nutella (I used Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter, which I highly recommend if you can find it)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in the egg whites. Add the banana, vanilla, and apple sauce and mix together. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Warm the Nutella up in the microwave for 30-60 seconds until it is softer and melted.
- Pour the banana bread batter into a bread pan. Spoon the nutella on top and swirl into the bread using a knife until all of the Nutella has been worked in.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until cooked through.