Bacon, Egg and Kale Pizza
Though a few extra minutes in bed win out over a morning meal during the week, Saturdays and Sundays are all about breakfast in our house. My ideal weekend drips faithfully to life with the pre-programmed coffee pot (still one my all-time favorite inventions). The smell of potential and weekend freedom inspires the great untangling of covers, cats and still gently-snoring snugging. I trudge to the kitchen, pop open the fridge and pull half and half and some ingredients from the fridge, pour a cup and start breakfast.
Ever since we discovered the nifty trick of cast iron skillet pizza, we’ve been a bit obsessed. That together with my love of pizza for breakfast made this combination inevitable. We had a package of Trader Joe’s whole wheat pizza dough, we had kale left over from salad, we always have bacon and we always have eggs. Inspiration struck before the second cup.
The baking time gives you the perfect amount of time to grab a shower and make a bloody mary. Weekend starts now!
- 1 package pre-made whole wheat pizza dough (Trader Joe’s has great dough).
- 6 strips of bacon, cooked crisp, drained and blotted
- 3 – 4 cups of kale
- 4 eggs
- 1 yellow onion, chopped fine
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced and divided 4 to 1
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp water
- fresh ground black pepper
- flour for forming pizza dough
- olive oil
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400
- Pull pizza dough out of the oven and let it rest and room temperature.
- In a non-stick pan add a small drizzle of olive oil and heat to shimmering. Add bacon strips (in batches if you have to) and cook until crispy. Drain grease from strips into pan and remove to a paper towel lined plate and blot additional grease.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil (or a little of the bacon grease if you’re feeling sassy) in a non-stick skillet until shimmering. Add onion and cook until translucent (about 8 minutes). Add 4 cloves of minced garlic and cook an additional minute. Add kale, vinegar and water, stir and cover for 3-4 minutes, stirring occassionally until kale begins to wilt.
- Brush a cast iron skillet sides and bottom with olive oil. Lightly flour hands and work pizza dough to a circle slightly larger than the bottom of the cast iron skillet. Place the dough in the skillet and push border down with fingers to form roughly a 1 inch border around the pan. Brush the dough with olive oil and add the remaining garlic so it’s evenly distributed. Add kale and arrange bacon strips in spokes. Gently crack eggs on top of bacon and cook on stove top over medium high heat for about 6 minutes until the bottom starts to brown slightly.
- Carefully transfer skillet to oven and bake for 15 – 20 minutes until eggs are set.
- Remove skillet from oven and transfer pizza to baking sheet with a spatula (comes out easily), add grated parmesan cheese. Cut into pieces and serve immediately with coffee and bloody marys.